Everyone has a story to tell, here's mine sprinkled with some creative projects along the way.
Thank you for stopping by and I hope you come back again.



Thursday, June 2, 2011

Matchbook tutorial

I know I promised to make a tutorial about the matchbooks from last week's post. Sorry it's a bit late but I hope it'll be worth the wait. :)



So first you need to gather your supplies, which is not much...

You'll need...
pattern paper, preferably double sided
some cardstock, the amount will depend on how thick you want the inside pages of the book to be
Paper trimmer
ruler
hole puncher
ribbon
bone foler or popsicle stick
extra: border punch

Instructions:

1. Cut out the pattern paper to the size you like. For my heritage matchbooks, I cut them 4" wide by 11" long. Then I scored the paper using my bonefolder and a ruler. Scoring means creating creases/folds at certain points of the paper. You can also use your paper trimmer to make the score marks. Instead of running the paper trimmer blade through the groove, run your popsicle stick or bonefolder through.



I'm not sure if you can see my pen markings of the measurements but it's 2" on the left, then 1/4", then 4 1/2" then another 1/4" and then 4". If you are making a thicker book, you need to adjust the 1/4" parts to maybe about 1/2".



2. Then fold at the creases/scored lines.


3. I added a decorative edge to the shorter fold (2"one) with a border punch. This is an extra little touch, you don't have to do this if you don't want to.



4. Then you cut out your cardstock. Cut as many as you need. My size is about 4 1/4" long and 3 3/4" wide.



5. Place the cardstock papers inside, then fold the shorter end (with decorative border) over the papers and punch holes through all those papers. I didn't measure this. I'm an "eyeball" type of gal, you can easily measure and make marks with pencil if desired before punching your holes.



6. Thread your ribbon through the holes and doule knot to close.


To close the book, tuck the right piece under the left fold.


After this step you can pretty much to whatever you wish to your books. In the past,I've decorated the front with a solid color (to mute down a bit the patterns on the paper) then added a monogram chipboard or a layered flower accent in the middle.

You can use the books as gifts or fill the papers/pages inside and make it your own minibook.


I hope you guys enjoyed my little tutorial and my only request is that if you were inspired by this tutorial.....to pass it along. Link this post to anywhere you think it will be useful for or at. It's all about sharing for me. :)


Have a great weekend.


Till next time,

Grace

1 comment:

Rosana Garcia Hess said...

easy and beautiful....I´ll feature on my blog. Hope you don´t mind
hugs from Brazil