Everyone has a story to tell, here's mine sprinkled with some creative projects along the way.
Thank you for stopping by and I hope you come back again.



Friday, June 15, 2012

Sautéed Pineapple and Bananas with Honey

It's Friday again and I'm here to share with you a recipe I recently tried out. I figured I shared two dinner recipes already so this time, we are doing a dessert...

Sautéed Pineapple and Bananas with Honey
“Home Cooking”, The Costco Way cookbook
Makes 8 servings.

Vanilla low-fat frozen yogurt
¼ cup butter (1/2 stick)
¼ cup honey
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
4 cups fresh cut pineapple chunks
2 bananas, cut in half lengthwise and then cut into quarters

Spoon frozen yogurt into individual serving bowls and keep in the freezer until the fruit mixture is ready.
Melt butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Mix in honey, vanilla and cinnamon. Add pineapple and simmer for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add bananas and stir until evenly coated and bananas are cooked through and soft. Serve immediately over  frozen yogurt.

As you can read, I got this from one of my Costco cookbooks. I love those books especially since they give you recipes that help you figure out how to use up the many products we get at Costco. We all know that sometimes eating plain bananas can be boring. :)
So my comments on this recipe is..
1. Nowadays, I go with recipes I have the ingredients on hand already and if I don't have that specific one, I'll have something to substitute it with. For this recipe, I substituted the fresh pineapples with canned ones. I'm sure the fresh one tastes better BUT again I wanted to use what I have and the DelMonte canned ones in my pantry didn't have the sugary syrup with it so I went with that. I also had vanilla ice cream already on hand so I substituted that with the yogurt.
2. This recipe is so delish. Simple yet very delightful. A perfect Summer dessert! The syrup tastes very similar to caramel sauce and so when you combine the sauce with the ice cream, it becomes a soft divine taste in your mouth.
3. I was surprised at how the sauce matched more with the pineapple than the bananas. For some reason, I thought it would be the other way around since the pineapple was already sweet but the honey/butter syrup went well with it. Learned something new!
4. The family LOVED it and we made plenty to eat on another night.

So there you have it. Hope you have a great weekend and if you are wanting a dessert that brings out the best of the season, why not try this one. :)

Till next time,
Grace

No comments: