Everyone has a story to tell, here's mine sprinkled with some creative projects along the way.
Thank you for stopping by and I hope you come back again.



Friday, June 29, 2012

What a week + Cabbage Kielbasa Skillet

Hello guys. Whew! What a week we've had around here. Today I wrap up a fun Craft Camp with 17 kiddos plus kept one eye and ear glued to the front window making sure that the Waldo Canyon Fire is not coming towards our neighborhood. If you haven't heard...Colorado Springs was hit with it's worst fire in history. It was surreal seeing houses burn right before my eyes on Tuesday night (June 26th.) The fire was blazing fast and hard due to the dry conditions and strong winds. Thankfully our part of the city (east of the freeway) was spared but oh I feel so bad for all those people that had to be evacuated and lost homes. It's such a tragedy. But the good thing (and there's a good side to every tragic story) this community really stepped up and lend help to those in need. I even made my camp kids make Thank you cards for our beloved firefighters. Everyone helped in all the ways they can and it makes me feel so proud to live in an area where we have good hearted people all around.

Ok so we are back to blogging. Woohoo! I missed this place and being able to share with all of you my projects, thoughts, ideas and words. Next week we will be back to our "regular programming" but before I bid you a happy weekend, how about a food share...


Cabbage Kielbasa Skillet
Prep/total time- 25 min.
Serves 4

1 large red onion, sliced
1 large green pepper, julienned
1 large sweet red pepper, julienned
2 tbsp. butter
1 pound smoked kielbasa or polish sausage, cut into 1-inch slices
1 package (16 oz.) coleslaw mix
½ cup reduced sodium chicken broth
1 tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. pepper

In a large skillet, sauté onion and peppers in butter until tender. Add remaining ingredients. Cook and stir for 6-8 minutes or until heated through.

This recipe was taken from "Taste of Home, Fresh and Easy" cookbook. Taste of Home cookbooks are, by far, my favorite ones. The recipes in it are gathered from regular cooks like me and the ingredients are not hard to find. Plus they have a picture of the finished dish for almost all of the recipes. Like I said before, I'm a visual person and so seeing what the dish should look like when I'm done cooking it, helps me decide if it's enticing enough to make.

My comments on this dish...
1. I like it alot, especially for Summer days when it's too hot to turn on the oven but I don't really want to grill anything.
2. This dish has meat and LOTS  of veggies which pleases both me and my family. My love ones are meat eaters and I'm trying to be healthier in my food choices so this is a win-win dish for us. Plus you can't beat the color! So pretty.
3. It's also very inexpensive. The most expensive ingredient would have to be the kielbasa sausage which, if you get it on sale would only be around $2.50-$3.00 a pound. I've also seen Turkey kielbasa at the store which can cut the fat off more for those serious dieters. :)
4. Because this dish is heavy laden with veggies, I just pair it with homemade biscuits or rolls and a slice of fruit. Summer combined in one dish...don't you think?

Have a great weekend everyone.

Till next time,
Grace

No comments: