Everyone has a story to tell, here's mine sprinkled with some creative projects along the way.
Thank you for stopping by and I hope you come back again.



Friday, September 7, 2012

Book reviews

When I was young, I had made up a conclusion that I don't like to read. Even in High School, I didn't like to read things without "pictures" in it. Yes, I know this revelation is making me sound so dumb, but it was the truth. That why I was more of a magazine and cookbook browser than a novel reader.
 
Now I don't know what changed but now I LOVE books. Even if they don't have pictures in it! I seriously love to immerse myself in a good (clean) novel and I've learned so many new things from how-to books. I've also come to learn that I am very hesitant in picking up new reads for fear that I might only get disappointed if it has somethings that I really don't like in books (like profanity) or the story line is something I can't wrap my head around. So now I find myself relying a lot on people's reviews of books. I have an accound on Goodreads.com (which you'll notice in my blog side bar) and I use that all the time before I pick up any new reads, especially if it's a novel. So with this, I had a thought...maybe I'm not the only one out there that needs that bit of advice from a friend about books... which ones are must reads and which ones needs to be put back on the shelf?
 
Now with everything that's been written on this blog..this is my opinions and you don't have to take any of it into consideration. I just know that for me....a few comments from a source that I trust helps me a lot in picking the next book I read...
(note: clicking on the book images will direct you to where you can learn more about them)
 
I love, love, love this book. I picked this up from our local library and this book gave me most of my a-ha moments when it comes to the technical side of photography. As most of you know, I'm a self-taught photographer and proud of it. I love the vision of capturing moments but my brain just can't quite figure out the technical side of the craft. When I read this book. so many lights turned on as far as ISO, Aperture and Shutter Speed. If you had a goal of improving in your photography skills this year, this is a book that will help you achieve your goals.
 
I read novels. I am a huge Jane Austen fan so I tend to lean towards the romantic type reads. But this book was in the New York's best seller list and it just so happen that it was available at our local library so I gave it a read. It's kind of a mix between a family story line and fantasy.

I have to commend the writer for an incredible imagination. The way she combined a story of a dysfunctional family with some scifi in there was pretty incredible. I'm not much of a reader of this sort of books but I did like this one.
 
Another great book! Even though I'm not getting married (did that 10 years ago and still very happy about it) I enjoyed this read. There's so many things I gained from this book....the photography was impeccable, the color schemes were inspirational and the DIY ideas were, of course, making me want to plan a wedding soon! I know this is a wedding idea book BUT if you are a creative person, you will gain so much from this read that you'll want to purchase it to include in your "go-to crafty books" library.
 
 
What's not to love about a cupcake book? I mean this shows you all sorts of ideas to make a cupcake even better and cuter PLUS once you try out the ideas, you'll be given the title of "best mom in the world" by your children! Trust me on that one. *wink* Now I have to admit that some of the cupcake ideas were pretty intimidating, especially for someone like me that just "dabbles" into food art once in a while BUT for the most part, Betty Crocker has put together a good amount of cupcake recipes/ideas that even a novice like me can whip it up and not feel like I'm pulling my hair while I try accomplishing it.
 
and finally.....I {HEART} this book and the author. I'm a big Sheri Dew fan. She's an amazing person and you can feel that in her books. Plus, you don't have to be LDS (Mormom) to understand the title of this book or know what this book is all about. I'm a firm believer that we are not victims of our circumstances. There are times when it's harder to live by those words than others, BUT by reading this book, I've come to the conclusion that we need hard times so we can be stronger and that even when we feel like we are about to give up...the Lord has set the net for us that if we fall, he'll catch us. So if you are in the mood for some uplifting and inspiring words, Sheri Dew will help you feel just that.
 
So there you have it. My five favorite books to date. If you want to follow my reviews on the books I've read, you can always check my Goodreads account or be my friend there. Let's all be bookworms together. :)
 
And if you happen to have come across a book that you just love, love, love and you think it's right up my alley too, please share. I'm always on the hunt for a great read.
 
Till next time,
Grace

 
 
 

No comments: